St. Nicholas Parish in Čakovec was established in 1789, before which time it belonged to the Parish of St. Michael's in Mihovljan. Most of the church building, whose construction began in 1707, was completed in 1728. The construction of the ground floor of the monastery lasted from 1702 to 1750 while the upper floor was constructed in the first half of the 19th century. In the period from 1753 to 1757 the bell tower was constructed. The church and the monastery were constructed in baroque style. On this location stood a wooden monastery from the times of Nikola Zrinski, which burnt down in 1699.